My 50 Before 50 Bucket List: Happy Half Century!
Nothing like a birthday to get the brain thinking about all the things I want to accomplish before I hit the big 5-0 milestone. Having recently turned 47 years old, I am quickly approaching the magical half century age of 50. I have decided to put my bucket list entires to paper (or the web in this case). Now I am not one who is upset about growing old. I consider it a blessing and a privilege, so no worries from this Southern girl. I’ve been anxiously awaiting 50 for quite some time now because it is then that I vowed to start my own Red Hat chapter. Ladies (sorry guys!), we are going to be one fun, active group of red hatters!
Reasons to have a bucket list? It is important for everyone to have dreams or goals to aspire to. It also is a benchmark for measuring the wonderful adventures or accomplishments you’ve already had in your life. Maybe your bucket list contains entries that are unreachable for health restrictions, high cost, or some other factor that stops you from meeting them? So be it, at least you can think it and dream it, and that is all about keeping your vivid imagination well and in working order.
So, without further adieu, I leave you with my “50 Before 50” bucket list of challenges I look forward to. Please warn my husband, Eddie, that he is going to be very busy.
50 Before 50 Bucket List
- Take a long overdue cruise through New England. New England’s gorgeous scenery has been on my list for over 7 years now and something always comes up or the price is too expensive I feel for the offering.
- Continue my annual tradition of attending Nashville’s CMA Music Fest with my daughters, our girls outing for the year. This June year will make our 6th year, so we are off to a good start.- Completed 2016 and 2017
- Take a trip via train. It does not have to be fancy, but my dream trip would be across Canada to see the scenery.
- Attend a professional football game each year as I have done in the past. I like this annual tradition that does not break the bank and gives me a chance to see different teams each year. Go Steelers!
- Take another Viking River Cruise. I cruised the Rhine with VRC and had a fantastic time with my girlfriends. I hope to cruise with them again on their longships. Destination anywhere! Done, Spring 2017 Viking Danube
- Take a cheesy Big Red Bus trip.
- Have a weekend getaway with my friend and cohort Judy Adamson, from Murfreesboro, TN. We would be dangerous together!
- Take a cooking class outside of the US.
- See Budapest and explore its rich history. One of my 2 top bucket list destinations. Done Spring 2017
- Get back to doing yoga and perhaps go on a yoga retreat.
- Head over to Washington, DC, and take my dad to see the monuments and museums.
- Sharpen my photography skills. I have never had any official classes, nor do I really know how to work the great camera I own, but that is going to change soon. Knowledge is power. Done Summer 2017
- Attend a bluegrass festival.
- Go to a Polo match, which are very close to my house and an easy goal to accomplish.
- Do something epic for my 25th wedding anniversary. It has always been a dream of mine to hit the big 50 milestone with Eddie Pittman and we will reach our halfway mark very soon. That calls for a celebration! Done– RV trip September 2017
- Send 500 postcards to my readers and followers of Wherever I May Roam Blog. I love sending and receiving mail, and I figure others do, too. It is something pretty inexpensive that only takes a little time to maybe bring a smile to someone’s face. Send me your address and I will put you on my list! (278 thus far)
- Have afternoon tea somewhere swanky! Chattanooga June 2016
- Learn to properly eat sushi in a fancy restaurant. Same with dim sum.
- Be the mother of a bride. I cannot wait to see one or both of my girls married (though I dread shedding all those tears) and look forward to whatever wedding celebrations they may choose. December 2016
- Take another cruise with my parents. For 7 years, our family cruised with my parents and in-laws during the Christmas holidays. These were incredibly special memories and my folks are really fun to hang with on the cruise ship. I hope we can make that happen again.
- Go on the “Behind the Scenes” tour at Disney.
- Take a trip through New England by car or RV and explore Delaware, Rhode Island, Vermont, and New Hampshire.
- Have a piece of my work published in a publication I like. December 2016
- Work with a major cruise line or Marriott Corporation professionally.
- Learn and become incredibly knowledgeable on SEO language.
- Visit the Lone Star State of Texas and explore all the areas I have been waiting my life to see. Urban Cowboy hot spots and Ewing Ranch, here I come! Visited Texas May 2016
- Host the “Adjuster 5” to a girls weekend at my home in Florida. These 4 lifelong friends are incredibly special to me. I want to share my home with them and create new memories.
- Take my dog Priscilla on an international trip. This would probably be to our place in Panama, but she is open to suggestions.
- Meet 1 of my top 10 stars. I have been blessed with meeting so many celebrities in my life (Barry Gibb being the highlight…twice!) but I have my sights set on Will Farrell or Jeff Lynne of ELO.
- See the Biltmore Estate in Asheville and hang in the hipster town.
- Indulge in Portland’s foodie scene. Completed March 2016
- Complete my visiting all 50 states. This might be my biggest goal to accomplish by the time I turn 50.
- Go on an RV trip with my husband and pets to basically anywhere. Done September 2017
- Prep my Florida house to be an Airbnb rental. Why not make money while I am traveling? I do live at the beach and have a killer pool.
- Start my own Red Hat Society chapter.
- Attend Oktoberfest up close and personal in Germany.
- Become savvy using anything with points, like credit card rewards and airline miles. Working on this since Jan 2017
- Wander the European Christmas markets, preferably with my family, in Germany and Austria.
- Hit 50K followers on my social media sites. Get the correlation? Done!
- Tour the Kentucky Bourbon Trail. Now I do not even like Bourbon, but the tour sounds like so much fun and perhaps Dierks Bentley will fly in on his private plane. (#dreamer)
- Go on a girls trip with all new friends. December 2016
- Finally, take time to practice and put my Spanish classes to use; especially when in Panama, our second home.
- Start an exercise program to use these 40+-year-old muscles that need toned and attention. It is never too late to start taking better care of yourself and be the best you can be.
- Completely fill my passport.
- Cruise with cruise lines I have not yet cruised with such as MSC, Disney, and Holland America.
- Go to Iowa, Montana, North and South Dakota, and Idaho. All these states are really appealing to me and I cannot wait to see what special flavor they have to offer. I do not have a single friend who has ever been to any of them for a “vacation”.
- Revisit Disneyland. Visited March 2016
- Attend Albuquerque, New Mexico’s International Balloon Fiesta.
- Exchange houses with my cousin so I can explore the beautiful state of Colorado and see my family that lives there. (and a Broncos game)
- Become a proficient gardener.
Heading into the Half Century Mark
I hope you enjoyed my “50 before 50” bucket list and wish me luck in getting there. Do you have a list of things to achieve, either over a short time or even a lifetime goal? My words of encouragement are “If you don’t start, you can’t finish”. Take it one day at a time to make your dreams come true. I wish you all lots of luck!
Hugs and kisses,