7 Epic Things At Disney’s Animal Kingdom
Animal Kingdom is Walt Disney World’s largest theme park, measuring 500 acres. It focuses on animal conservation, pioneered by Walt Disney himself. The park is divided into 6 different themed areas: The Oasis (where you enter), Discovery Island (home to the Tree of Life), Africa, Rafiki’s Planet Watch (conservation minded), Asia, and Dinoland USA. Soon, Animal Kingdom will be adding a 7th area dedicated to the movie Avatar. Wildlife can be found throughout and Disney’s Animal Kingdom does a great job of making the buildings in each area look native to their country. After a few visits to this park, I have complied a list of 7 epic things to do at Walt Disney World’s Animal Kingdom.
Expedition Everest – Legend of the Forbidden Mountain
- This is the best ride at Disney World, hands down. The rollercoaster takes you through the Himalayan Mountains in an effort to run from the Abominable Snowman, believed to be protecting the Forbidden Mountain. Part of the ride is backwards, which makes it even more exhilarating. Expedition Everest is located in Asia and available to FastPass.
The Festival of the Lion King
- This is a 30-minute Broadway style show with elaborate costumes, acrobatics, and singing along to the movie’s iconic songs. The air-conditioned stadium allows all audience members to have a perfect view of the show. Each section of the theater will be lead to act like an animal from The Lion King. The Festival of the Lion King can be found in Africa. On your way out of the theater, be sure to check out the tam-tam drummers of Haramabe or enjoy a snack from the Harambe Market.
It’s Tough To Be a Bug
- Located in the Tree of Life, this 3D show is narrated by A Bug’s Life‘s Flik. He makes viewers honorary bugs as they see the world though a bug’s point of view, complete with smells, creepy crawlies, and virtual reality. Audience members leave realizing that insects are actually our friends and our world would be much different without them.
- Heads up: Some of the special effects may be scary to young children.
- The Kilimanjaro Safari is worth the price of admission into the park. Catch a ride on an elaborately decorated open-air vehicle and tour Animal Kingdom’s African savanna in the fictional town of Harambe. Some animals you may encounter are lions, elephants, tigers, zebras, rhinoceros, sharks, sea turtles, and giraffes. If you are video taping any part of your day at Animal Kingdom, this is the time to do it. Since this attraction is incredibly popular, I recommend getting here when the park opens; it is also available to FastPass.
- Play boardwalk style games, learn about dinosaurs, and explore the area of Dinoland. Rides such as DINOSAUR, Tricera Top Spin, and Primeval Whirl plus Finding Nemo the Musical are found here.
Kali River Rapids
- Board a 12-passenger raft for this thrilling adventure found in Asia. You are guided up 90 feet and then descend the mountain in a whitewater fashion. The raft will continue to guide you through thick jungle landscape until you make it to the end. People exiting this ride were soaked head to toe and even though I wore a poncho, I still found myself drenched. Kali River Rapids is perfect for a hot Florida day.
Visit Animal Kingdom!
Get to the park early; lines are smaller and you have a better chance of seeing all of the safari animals. I hope this list of 7 epic things at Disney’s Animal Kingdom helps you make the most of your trip.
Have a wild day!
Disney’s Animal Kingdom Photo Gallery:
Need a place to stay while in Orlando? Check out some great hotel deals right here!
Taylor Pittman Hardy wrote this article.
Check out our other Disney World posts: