I have to confess. I am a chili/soup addict and love to have the house smelling all fabulous while the big pot of deliciousness on the stove cooking. The finished product is great for a few meals and bonus, if you have leftovers, simply freeze and thaw for a later date. Nothing goes to waste here!
CHILI WITH RANCH SOUR CREAM
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Magazine- Jan/Feb 2015 edition
For the Chili
- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 red jalapeño pepers, seeded and finely copped
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 canned chipotle chile in adobo sauce, seeded and chopped
- 3 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin, dried oregano, AND ground coriander
- 2# ground beef chuck
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 14-oz cans diced tomatoes
- 2 15-oz cans kidney beans (do not drain)
- 1 bay leaf
For the Ranch Sour Cream
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- 1 1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro AND fresh chives
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- canned fried onions, for topping
- Make the chili: Heat the oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the onion, bell pepper and jalapeños and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the tomato paste, chipotle, chili powder, cumin, coriander and oregano. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are well coated, adding 1-2 tbsp water if the mixture gets too dry, about 3 minutes.
- Add the beef, season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring and breaking up the meat, until no longer pink, about 3 minutes. Add the tomatoes, beans, bay leaf, 1 tsp salt and 1 cup water. Bring to a simmer, then reduce the heat to medium low. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 40-45 minutes. Remove the bay leaf; season the chili with salt.
- Meanwhile, make the ranch sour cream. Combine the sour cream, vinegar, cilantro, chives, and scallions in a bowl. Add 1 tsp salt and a few grinds of pepper; whisk until smooth. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve..
- Ladle the chili into bowl; top with the ranch sour cream and fried onions.
Active time: 30 min Total time 1 hour 10 min Serves 6 to 8