Perfect Buckeye Balls Recipe
Peanut butter is one of my favorite foods. Combine peanut butter with chocolate and you have an ultimate dessert combination. I found these Buckeye Balls on Pinterest and they look too delicious to pass up. When my husband needed to take a dessert to work, I seized the opportunity to use this recipe.
Although Buckeye Balls are typically made around the holidays, these are a perfect treat for any time of year! This recipe has the perfect ratio of peanut butter to confectioners’ sugar and chocolate; my mouth is watering just thinking about how good these Buckeye Balls are.
- 1 1/2 Cups creamy peanut butter
- I always use Jif
- 1/2 Cup butter, softened
- 1Teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1Lb box confectioners’ sugar
- 1 1/2 Cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2-3 Tablespoons shortening
- In a large bowl, mix together the peanut butter, vanilla, and confectioners’ sugar using your hands. Although it will be dry and crumby at first, keep working until everything is mixed.
- Form into three large balls, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Shape balls using a scant tablespoon of mixture for each ball and rolling it in your hands to smooth. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Refrigerate for at least one hour.
- In a small saucepan, melt chocolate chips and shortening over low heat, stirring constantly When smooth, remove form heat.
- Use a toothpick to dip each ball into chocolate mixture and place back on baking sheet.
- Refrigerate until chocolate is set. Use the back of a spoon to smooth over toothpick holes.
Note: Store your Buckeye Balls in the refrigerator. You will thank me later!
You can find a printable version of this recipe here.
Taylor Pittman Hardy wrote this article.
Check out some of our other recipes: