My 50 Before 50 Bucket List: Happy Half Century!
Nothing like a birthday to get your mind thinking about all the things I want to accomplish before hitting the significant 50 milestone. Having recently turned 47 years old, I am quickly approaching the magical half-century age of 50. I have decided to put my bucket list entries to paper (or the web in this case).
Now I am not one who is upset about growing old. I consider it a blessing and a privilege, so no worries from this Southern girl. I’ve been anxiously awaiting 50 for quite some time now because it is then that I vowed to start my own Red Hat chapter. Ladies (sorry guys!), we are going to be one fun, active group of red hatters!
Reasons to have a bucket list? Everyone needs to have dreams and goals to aspire to. It also is a benchmark for measuring the incredible adventures or accomplishments you’ve already had in your life. Maybe your bucket list contains entries that are unreachable for health restrictions, high cost, or some other factor that stops you from meeting them? So be it, at least you can think it and dream it, and that is all about keeping your vivid imagination well and in working order.
So, without further adieu, I leave you with my 50 Before 50 bucket list of challenges I look forward to doing before I turn 50 years old.
Please warn my husband, Eddie, that he is going to be very busy.
50 Before 50 Bucket List
- Take a long overdue cruise through New England. New England’s gorgeous scenery has been on my list for over seven years now, and something always comes up. or the price is too high. Completed August 2020
- Continue my annual tradition of attending Nashville’s CMA Music Fest with my daughters, our girls outing for the year. This June year will make our 6th year, so we are off to a good start.- Completed 2016 and 2017
- Take a trip via train. It does not have to be fancy, but my dream trip would be across Canada to see the scenery.
- Attend a professional football game each year as I have done in the past. I like this annual tradition that does not break the bank and gives me a chance to see different teams each year. Go Steelers! (I’ve already failed this one!)
- Take another Viking River Cruise. I cruised the Rhine with Viking Cruises and some friends and had a fantastic time. I hope to sail with them again on the longships. Destination anywhere! Completed spring 2017 Danube and spring 2019 Paris to Swiss Alps
- Take a cheesy Big Red Bus trip.
- Have a weekend getaway with my friend and cohort Judy Adamson, from Murfreesboro, TN. We would be dangerous together!
- Take a cooking class outside of the US.
- See Budapest and explore its rich history. It is one of my top bucket list destinations. Completed spring 2017
- Get back to doing yoga and perhaps go on a yoga retreat.
- Head over to Washington, DC, and take my dad to see the monuments and museums. Completed fall 2019
- Sharpen my photography skills. I have never had any formal classes, nor do I know how to work the great camera I own, but that is going to change soon. Knowledge is power. Completed summer 2017
- Attend a bluegrass festival.
- Go to a Polo match, which is very close to my house and an easy goal to accomplish.
- Do something epic for my 25th wedding anniversary. It has always been a dream of mine to hit the big 50 milestones with Eddie Pittman. Completed trip to Paris in spring 2019
- Go on an RV trip. Completed September 2017 through Florida
- Send 500 postcards to my readers and followers of Wherever I May Roam Blog. I love sending and receiving mail, and I figure others do, too. It is something inexpensive that only takes a little time to bring a smile to someone’s face maybe. Send me your address, and I will put you on my list! Completed Dec. 2018
- Have afternoon tea somewhere swanky! Completed Chattanooga June 2016
- Learn to eat sushi in a fancy restaurant properly. Same with dim sum. Completed fall 2018
- Be the mother of a bride. I cannot wait to see one or both of my girls married (though I dread shedding all those tears) and look forward to whatever wedding celebrations they may choose. Completed December 2016, Taylor married Blake.
- Take another cruise with my parents. For seven years, our family cruised with my parents and in-laws during the Christmas holidays. These were incredibly special memories and my folks are entertaining to hang with on the cruise ship. I hope we can make that happen again. (scheduled for Dec 2017, but my mom was too ill to cruise again. The family went without the parents, but they were missed a bunch)
- Go on the “Behind the Scenes” tour at Disney.
- Take a trip through New England by car or RV and explore Delaware (done), Rhode Island (done), Vermont, and New Hampshire. (scheduled for Aug. 2020)
- Have a piece of my work published in a publication I like. Completed December 2016
- Work with a major cruise line or Marriott Corporation professionally. Completed Feb. 2018
- Learn and become incredibly knowledgeable in SEO language. Completed 2017
- Visit the Lone Star State of Texas and explore all the areas I have been waiting my life to see. Urban Cowboy hot spots and Ewing Ranch, here I come! Completed, Visited Texas in May 2016
- Host the “Adjuster 5” to a girl’s weekend at my home in Florida. These four lifelong friends are incredibly special to me. I want to share my home with them and create new memories.
- Take my dog Priscilla on an international trip. This would probably be to our second home in Boquete, Panama, but she is open to suggestions.
- Meet 1 of my top 10 stars. I have been blessed with meeting so many celebrities in my life (Barry Gibb being the highlight…twice!), but I have my sights set on meeting Will Farrell or seeing Jeff Lynne of ELO perform. Completed July 2019
- See the Biltmore Estate in Asheville and hang in the hipster town.
- Indulge in Portland, Oregon’s foodie scene. Completed March 2016
- Complete a visit to all 50 states. This might be my biggest goal to accomplish by the time I turn 50. (I would have achieved this without the setbacks of the passing of my mother and 13 weeks early delivery of my first grandchild)
- Work with one of my two dream brands. Completed September 2017
- Prep my Florida house to be an Airbnb rental. Why not make money while I am traveling? I do live at the beach and have a killer pool. (Somewhat fail- We get a homestead exemption so the Florida house is not possible, but we are on Airbnb with our five homes in Boquete, Panama)
- Start my own Red Hat Society chapter.
- Attend Oktoberfest up close and personal in Germany.
- Become savvy using anything with points, like credit card rewards and airline miles. Completed Jan 2018
- Wander the European Christmas markets, preferably with my family, in Germany and Austria.
- Hit 50K followers on my social media sites. Get the correlation? Done!
- Tour the Kentucky Bourbon Trail. Now I do not even like Bourbon, but the tour sounds like so much fun and perhaps Dierks Bentley will fly in on his private plane. (#dreamer)
- Go on a girls’ trip with all new friends. Completed December 2016
- Finally, take time to practice and put my Spanish classes to use, especially when in Panama, our second home.
- Start an exercise program to use these 40+-year-old muscles that need toned and attention. It is never too late to start taking better care of yourself and be the best you can be. Completed 2019
- Completely fill my passport.
- Cruise with cruise lines I have not yet cruised with, such as MSC, Disney, and Holland America. Disney Completed Dec 2017 Holland America done Feb 2018
- Go to Iowa (done), Montana, North and South Dakota, and Idaho. All these states are appealing to me, and I cannot wait to see what unique flavor they have to offer. I do not have a single friend who has ever been to any of them for a “vacation.”
- Revisit Disneyland. Completed March 2016
- Attend Albuquerque, New Mexico’s International Balloon Fiesta. (not complete, but I did hot air balloon ride in Gallup, NM)
- Exchange houses with my cousin so I can explore the beautiful state of Colorado and see my family that lives there. (and a Broncos game) (planned and failed due to Hurricane Irma)
- Become a proficient gardener.
Heading into the Half Century Mark
I hope you enjoyed my 50 before 50 bucket list. Wish me luck in getting there. Do you have a list of things to achieve, either over a short time or even a lifetime goal? My words of encouragement are, “If you don’t start, you can’t finish.”
Take it one day at a time to make your dreams come true. I wish you all lots of luck!
Hugs and kisses,
Pin This Post For Later!
Check out some other posts by WIMR: