Your Guide To Packing for a Cruise Vacation
One of the keys to a successful trip is to make sure you have everything you need, when you need it. I have compiled a list of things to pack for a 7 day cruise, which can be tailored to your needs.
For this trip, we are assuming that there are 2 formal nights (which can be skipped if you do not wish to dress up) 3 days at sea, and 3 ports of call. Modify this list as you see fit.
Here is your ultimate guide to packing for a cruise vacation!
Need a place to stay the night before or after your cruise?
- 3 Outfits for ports of call
- 3 Outfits for days at sea
- Unless you plan on staying on the pool deck these days
- 5 Casual or dressy outfits for dinner
- Sundresses, pants outfits, khakis, button up shirts
- 2 Bathing suits
- Cover up
- 8 Pairs of underwear
- 5 Bras
- 2 Formal outfits
- Unless you choose to opt out of
- 2 Exercise outfits
- So you have no excuse not to visit the gym
- 2 Sets of PJs
- Sweatshirt or a light jacket
- Appropriate shoes
- Even if you do not plan on needing a pair of tennis shoes, pack them just in case. Some ports and excursions involve a lot of walking or walking across uneven pavement or rocks.
- Just in case
Tip: Before going on your cruise, find out your cruise line’s dress code. Every night will have a different dress code and it is best to know ahead of time what is acceptable for each (casual, smart casual, formal). This will help you decide what clothes to bring!
Tip: Stick with basic or neutral colors so you can mix and match bottoms and tops. Try wearing a top for dinner and then wearing it the next day with shorts for sightseeing. Consider using a scarf or other accessory to change the look of an outfit.
Tip: Try to only bring what you know you will need. You may need room in your suitcase to hold souvenirs on the way home.
- Make up
- Shampoo and conditioner
- This available in your stateroom, but it is not the best quality
- Body wash or soap
- Again, not the best quality
- Hair brush
- Hair dryer
- The one provided is weak
- Curling iron or straightener
- Hair spray
- Hair accessories
- Bobby pins, ponytail holders
- Hand soap
- I hate the bar soap used to wash your hands in the staterooms, so I pack my own
- Stain remover
- Sewing kit
- Shaving cream
- Lint brush
- Medicine Kit
- Pain reliever, contraceptives, nausea and diarrhea remedies, Band-Aids, antacids, cold medicine
Tip: Although most of these can be purchased onboard in the event that you forget them, they are expensive.
In Your Carry On Or Purse
- Cruise documents
- Flight documents
- Hotel documents
- Money (cash and credit cards)
- Insurance cards
- Jewelry and other valuables
- Hand sanitizer
- Phone and charger
- Glasses, contacts, or reading glasses
- Pens and a pad of paper
- Gum or mints
- A change of clothes
- You never know when your luggage may get lost
Shop our Cruise Essentials on Amazon!
- Music player, headphones, and charger
- Extension cord
- There are never enough outlets in the staterooms!
- Converters and adapters
- Walkie talkies
- This is a way for families to keep track of where everyone is on the boat since cell phones do not work at sea
- Computer and charger
- Camera, batteries/charger, memory card
- Video camera and charger
- Sun hat
- Water toys
- These are a great idea if you have children!
- Books, Magazines, Book Reader
- Under water camera
- Guidebook or journal
- Carrying bag or tote
- This will be helpful for carrying items around the ship as well as on excursions
- Water shoes
- Plastic bags
- These come in handy when transporting wet clothes at the end of your vacation.
- Although there is plenty of food on the boat, buying snacks can get expensive and food is usually not available all hours of the day.
- Some cruise lines allow you to bring drinks on board, which can help save you tons of money.
Well, there you have it, our guide to packing for a cruise vacation. I hope no matter where your travels take you, that you have a blast!
If you have anything to add to our guide to packing for a cruise vacation, please let us know.
Download a printable version of this list by signing up below:
Pin This Post For Later:
Check out some of our other cruise posts:
Navigator of the Seas
Voyager of the Seas
Holiday In The Sun: Spring Break Cruise
Why Cruisers Love The USVI
9 Reasons You Should Pick Princess Cruises